S1 – S2 follow an ICT course delivered by Computing and Business Education teachers.
S1 learners follow a ‘Theme Park’ course. Throughout the year they learn how to use various software applications whilst working in a group to develop a new theme park for Scotland.
- Writing a location report using geographical information
- Branding products – Creating logos, uniforms and a mascot for the theme park
- Communication – learning how to use email effectively, creating business cards
- Budgeting and Pricing – using database and spreadsheet software to select rides and facilities for the new theme park
- Roller coaster simulator – using No Limits software to create a simulation of a roller coaster
- Presenting Information – learners present their ideas for the new theme park to a panel of judges.
S2 learners start to develop skills required to progress into S3 Computing Science
Areas covered include:
- Programming – introduction to computer programming with Scratch and LiveCode
- Web Design – introduction to web design using a text editor to write HTML and CSS code
- Database Design – introduction to database design using Open Office Base to design and create databases, including tables and forms
- Computer Systems – introduction to the internal workings of computer systems including the processor, memory and storage devices
S3 Computing Science
S3 learners will be prepared for progression to National Progression Awards (NPA), National 5 and Higher qualifications in the senior school
- Programming – computer programming with LiveCode including the use of variables, arrays, repletion and selection programming constructs, with an introduction to standard algorithms used in senior school programming
- Database Design – design and creation of relational databases including validation techniques, an introduction to SQL database programming
- Computer Systems – key concepts of computer systems including processor architecture, RAM and ROM, data flow with an introduction to the fetch execute cycle