Helping pupils understand the world of work and to develop the skills you need as you move through school
Skills Development Scotland
Skills Development Scotland (SDS) is the national skills body and we deliver Scotland’s careers service.
Our careers advisers deliver career information, advice and guidance in your school to pupils from S1-S6.
We are there to help you understand the world of work and to develop the Career Management Skills you need as you move through school.
The school careers adviser is Ms Kay Hannah and you can get in touch with her by email at the address of firstname.lastname@example.org.
You might meet them with your class at a group activity, at a careers event or at a one-to-one appointment.
Your careers adviser might speak to you about:
• Finding out about yourself, your strengths and skills
• Making subject choices
• Different types of careers and how to research them
• Developing the types of skills that are useful in a job
• Routes into careers, including apprenticeships
• Building and developing your networks
• Creating CVs
• Making applications and applying for courses
The work of SDS careers advisers is supported by My World of Work, our online service.
Beyond school, our advisers operate from a network of SDS centres and community locations nationwide, offering expert support to customers of all ages. You can find your nearest centre at myworldofwork.co.uk/centres.
Find out more about our services at skillsdevelopmentscotland.co.uk.
My World of Work
My World of Work is your online career information and advice service and it’s packed full of activities and tools to help you confidently make the best decisions for you.
There’s lots to do and explore and the more you tell the site about yourself, the more career ideas you’ll get just for you.
• Follow your ‘to do’ list which guides you through the site as you go through school
• Find out about yourself with About Me, Strengths and Skills
• Explore career suggestions matched to your personality
• Learn about routes into careers such as courses, training and apprenticeships
• Discover where your subject choices could take you
• Record and understand your skills and achievements
• Get help with CVs, applications and interviews
Register today for an account or log-in. Keep using the site as you go through school.
Discover and explore at myworldofwork.co.uk.
Support for Parents and Carers
Everyone wants their child to have a happy and successful future. And research shows that as a parent or carer you have the biggest influence on your child’s career decisions.
My Kid’s Career offers advice to help you give your child the support they need including:
• Jobs in demand – find out where the biggest job opportunities are in Scotland, now and in the future
• Routes and pathways – discover the different routes into those careers
• Career discussions – get hints and tips on speaking to your child about opportunities at the times that matter
Smart choices, bright futures at mykidscareer.com.
Apprenticeships.scot is your one-stop shop for apprenticeships. You can find out how to build the experience and skills that employers want to see. And you can search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies across Scotland in a wide range of industries.
No matter what stage you’re at, apprenticeships can help you get set for a bright future. And now, there are more ways than ever to get involved.
• Foundation Apprenticeships: kick start your career while you’re still at school
• Modern Apprenticeships: work, learn and earn and get the skills you need
• Graduate apprenticeships: get a job, get paid and get a degree at the same time
Visit apprenticeships.scot to find the right apprenticeship for you.
Digital World promotes the skills and training needed to work in Scotland’s tech sector. Through case studies, and online learning tools, the site aims to inspire school pupils to become digital humans, people who are able to challenge convention and make a real difference in the world through technology and creativity.
Visit digitalworld.net to find out more!
Our social media channels provide the latest content and careers support – ideal for pupils and parents/carers.
Please follow us and share if you are using any of these channels.
My World of Work (and My Kid’s Career)
Facebook – myworldofwork
Twitter – @mywowscotland
Instagram – @mywowscotland
YouTube – My World of Work
Twitter – @apprenticeships_scot
Facebook – Apprenticeships.scot
Instagram – @apprentice_scot
YouTube – Scottish Apprenticeships
Facebook – DigitalWorldHQ
Twitter – @DigitalWorldHQ
Instagram – @DigitalWorldHQ
YouTube – DigitalWorld